Sunday, February 1, 2015

1st Annual AzTrac Tackle Trauma 5K Run and Fog

5:00 AM on a Sunday morning, Super Bowl Sunday morning, and we were up and ready to quietly sneak out.  Morgan, Annika and I were headed out to Scottsdale to volunteer for Chandler Regional at the first annual Trauma run to benefit trauma centers in Arizona.  Chandler Regional is the newest Level I Trauma center in the valley and has become the busiest in its short 10 month existance.  Morgan came out to volunteer and run.  But first, we had to *get* there. 

This is the most fog I have seen in the 22 years I have lived in Phoenix.  It was thick, soupy fog - straight out of a London movie, except for the palm trees.  We drove ever so slow because we couldn't see more than 10-20 yards in front of us in the dark.  The freeway was not much better.  It was spooky the way it was swallowing up the cars.  But we did make it to the park that was the grounds for the run.

While Annika and I helped set up a table with the rest of the Chandler team, Morgan got herself checked in and ready for the run.  We handed out flyers and trinkets and casually nodded to the other trauma centers and their team members that, like Chandler, also sponsored the event.

Morgan ran a great race even through the fog.  Less than 20 minutes after the start, she was back.  She got some race food and drink and then went over to the other side of the field where the stage was placed from the sponsor tables.  I could hear her name being called and then I heard first place.  Morgan won first for U18 Womens.  So proud of Morgan!!!  She was very happy indeed.  

Annika is not shy at booth events - this is her fourth one volunteering with me in the last two years.  She really is great and handing out things and talking with people.  She decided to turn herself into our Injury Prevention Coordinator by reminding everyone who stopped at our booth about bike helmet safety while giving everyone literature on the subject.  Awesom job Annika!










No comments: